On 19 February 2014, the Scottish Parliament decided that every child in Scotland should have a ‘named person’ – a state official tasked with looking after their “wellbeing”.
This state guardian will be put in place regardless of whether or not children or parents wish to have one and regardless of whether there is any need for state intervention.
A named person will have the power to speak to a child, including about very personal issues, and provide information or advice – all potentially without parental consent.
A senior council leader has spoken out against the Named Person scheme, saying it is parents who are best at looking after their children.
Scotland’s largest teaching union has backed a motion calling for the “workload, contractual and legal implications” of the Named Person scheme to be investigated.
Scotland’s Deputy First Minister John Swinney has said he is “absolutely committed” to the Named Person scheme despite a growing swell of opposition, including from former SNP leaders.
Almost two-thirds of Scots are opposed to the controversial Named Person scheme, a new poll by the Scottish Daily Mail has found.
A charity leader has questioned the validity of the Scottish Government’s beleaguered Named Person scheme, following the tragic death of toddler Liam Fee.
Other Named Person news stories
- ‘Named Person scheme patronises parents’
[3 June 2016]
- Watch: ‘Named Person scheme patronises parents’
[3 June 2016]
- Named persons now hounding dentists for info on kids
[2 June 2016]
- Question Time panel debate ‘intrusive’ Named Person scheme
[16 May 2016]
- Named person garden analogy sows seeds of mistrust
[29 April 2016]
- Named Person plans to recruit housing officers as spies
[28 April 2016]
- ‘Named Person warning bells should be ringing for Govt’
[25 April 2016]
- Isle of Man policy compounds Named Person fears
[21 April 2016]
- Named person campaigners ‘snubbed’ by First Minister
[18 April 2016]
- Father of disabled children slams Named Person scheme
[11 April 2016]
- Named persons themselves blast state guardian plans
[7 April 2016]
- ‘Named person has total lack of respect for parents’
[5 April 2016]
- Govt must act to scrap Named Person scheme
[1 April 2016]
- Scots party leaders call for Named Person pause
[31 March 2016]
- Named Person is ‘unacceptable intrusion’, say Scots
[29 March 2016]