Police warn against dangerous ‘Snapchat pills’

Two schoolchildren have been hospitalised after taking ‘Snapchat pills’, leading to a warning being issued by the authorities.

West Yorkshire Police said: “We want to remind the public about the dangers of drugs. Drugs are often given catchy names to appeal to young people.”

A 13-year-old boy was arrested after the incident, and the constabulary advised anyone offered drugs to refuse and report the incident to the police or Crimestoppers.


The yellow Snapchat pills, so-called because they are stamped with the brand’s logo, are not produced or endorsed by the social media company.

It is believed brands familiar to teenagers are used to make them feel comfortable taking them.

Two young adults, Tommy Cowan, 20, and Georgia Jones, 18, recently died after allegedly taking similar pills.


The youngsters are thought to have taken ‘Green Heineken’ pills at a music festival in Portsmouth.

The pills are bright green and stamped with the Heineken beer logo. Thirteen others were taken to hospital from the same event.

Georgia’s mother Janine wrote on Facebook: “If nothing else I hope what has happened to her will deter you from taking anything ever.”

And Tommy’s dad Damian said: “all I can say is ‘take this on board, look what’s happened, if you want to end up that way, carry on’. If you don’t, don’t even think about it.”

Related Resources