Detransitioner ‘misled and disfigured by gender-affirming medics’

A man in the US has launched legal action against medics he believes set him on the pathway to drastic sex-swap surgery.

As a gender-confused and depressed teenager, Sinead Haupt was prescribed puberty-blocking drugs and cross-sex hormones. Last year, aged 24, he underwent a surgical operation to remove his testicles.

But now, according to court papers seen by The Sunday Times, Haupt says healthcare providers falsely claimed the surgery would be “an appropriate, safe, and effective treatment to improve his mental health”. Instead, he argues, it left him “disfigured and without a properly functioning body”.

Transgender ideology

Haupt told the newspaper: “At the time, it seemed like there were these common narratives about how much life would improve if you transitioned, how much better you would feel about your body and so on.

“I think I jumped into the decision for this surgery in an emotional state of mind, and I felt that it was very quick to actually get into the surgery itself from that point on.”

He added: “They didn’t ask me if I was certain that I really needed to be physically a woman in every way, shape and form and the result is that it just caused harm”.

The detransitioner said: “I think some people would think I’m, like, a traitor or something, for seeking compensation for the harm the surgery caused me. But it did cause harm.”

Protecting children

The Trump Administration recently announced an end to Government funding for “sex-rejection procedures on children”.

From October, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service (CMS) will prohibit the use of taxpayers’ money on “any pharmaceutical or surgical intervention that attempts to align a child’s physical appearance or body with an asserted identity that differs from the child’s sex”.

CMS Administrator Dr Mehmet Oz said: “Children deserve our protection, not experimental interventions that pose serious risks and convey no proven benefits.”

The organisation’s press release stated: “Today’s action reflects CMS’ commitment to protecting children, safeguarding taxpayer resources, and ensuring that federal healthcare programs support treatments grounded in the best available evidence — not experimental interventions that carry potentially irreversible consequences for minors.”

Also see:

Autistic detransitioner awarded $2m after her breasts were removed at 16

‘Considering a sex swap? Think again’, warns detransitioner

New data shows social contagion influence on transgender craze

Related Resources