Parents warn teens about drug use after daughter’s death

Parents of a girl who died last week after an apparent ecstasy overdose have released a picture of her in hospital to warn others against drug taking.

Shakira Pellow, 15, from Camborne in Cornwall, died on Saturday morning after reportedly taking a pill bearing the Duplo logo.

Her mother Rita was devastated by the death, but decided releasing the photo could help.

‘Not coming back’

Rita’s partner Lee said: “We want to say to other teenagers, if you carry on taking this stuff, this is what’s going to happen to you.

“Our Shakira is not coming back from this. This was her life and now it’s gone – it could easily be you.”

He said they thought Shakira would pull through, and that they would show her the picture later, but now want it to stand in her honour and memory as a warning.

Lee continued: “We just want to raise as much awareness of this as we can. If we can save just one life, it will be worth it.”


Shakira was admitted to hospital on Friday night alongside three other 15-year-olds, all believed to have taken the same drug.

Detective Superintendent Roy Linden of Devon and Cornwall Police said: “This is a truly tragic incident in which a young girl has lost her life.

“We want to warn children and young people of the dangers surrounding taking drugs. This is a tragic incident, and we do not wish anyone in our community to go through the same ordeal.”

Two 17-year-olds have been arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs.

Related Resources