The family of a teenager who was hospitalised after taking ecstasy has released a video showing the serious brain damage it caused.
Amy Thomson, 16, collapsed during a party at a house in Glasgow earlier this year – she ended up on life support for close to a month before regaining consciousness.
She was then moved to a specialist rehabilitation unit, and is now wheelchair-bound and struggles with speech.
The video, shared on Facebook by Amy’s family, has been viewed thousands of times. It shows her slurring the words ‘Thank you, thank you everyone’.
On a support page for Amy, a cousin wrote: “Some people may have cried, laughed or been shocked seeing the video. But this is what a tiny pill can do to you.
Some people may have cried, laughed or been shocked seeing the video. But this is what a tiny pill can do to youAmy Thomson's cousin
“If this isn’t an eye-opener for everyone who continues to take stuff, I dunno what is.”
A 33-year-old man and two women aged 17 and 18 were arrested in connection with the incident for alleged drug offences – the case is under consideration, according to the Crown Office.
Last year, the mother of a 16-year-old who died after taking ecstasy spoke out about her immense pain and heartbreak.
Fiona Spargo-Mabbs compared the loss of her son Daniel to “having a limb ripped off without any anaesthetic”.
Struggling to read her victim impact statement in court she said: “It is like having an enormous wound but it is much worse.”
Daniel died from multiple organ failure three days after taking the illegal drug MDMA, more commonly known as ecstasy.